St. Paul Youth Services (SPYS) was established 50 years ago jointly by the City of Saint Paul and the Saint Paul Police Department, in response to concerns about increased youth interaction with the juvenile justice system.
Over time, we established our independence as a 501(c)(3) and added programs, partners, and expertise rooted in proven practices and pioneering approaches to early behavior intervention.
Since its founding, SPYS has successfully interrupted the cradle-to-prison pipeline, keeping thousands of youth healthy, hopeful, and free.
9 out of 10 youth we partner with do better in school, stay out of the juvenile justice system, and resolve family conflicts without police intervention, hospitalization, or removal from the home. Today, SPYS also partners with youth to dismantle the cradle-to-prison pipeline altogether.
- Partner with Black Youth & Their Families
- Train & Collaborate with Nonprofits & Public Agencies
- Work for Just & Effective Policies
- Advocate for Resources Proportionate to the Organizational Mission, Vision and Values
Annual Budget: $1,168,684 – Foundations
St. Paul Youth Services is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Board Governance
- Marketing and Communications
- Strategic and Business Planning
- Number of members currently: 3
- Meeting time and frequency: 6 (SPYS Board meets bi-monthly – 6 times a year)
- Meeting location: St Paul
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes
- Time Expectation: Up to 2 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes
- Service on Committee Required: No
- Current Committees: Executive, Finance Committee, Business Advisory Council
- Length of Term: 3 Years
- Renewable: Yes