Process for Becoming a Sponsored Project
Step 1: Review the eligibility guidelines below. If you meet the criteria, move on to Step 2.
Step 2: Attend an information session offered for free twice a month by program staff.
Step 3: After attending and information session to have your questions answered, complete our Stage 1 Application to tell us about your project. Once you submit your application, you will get an email confirming we received it. Depending on when you submit your application in our fiscal sponsorship cycle, you can expect to hear back from us during the following months: December, March, June, and September. For example, if you submit an application in October, you will hear back from our staff by December.
Step 4: If you have been selected, our staff will reach out to set up a 20-30 minute phone conversation to learn more about your project and assess whether it will be a good fit for our fiscal sponsorship program.
Step 5: If we determine that your project is a good match, we’ll email you the full application (Stage 2). We will evaluate each submission based on your finances, marketing plan, and current operational structure. We want to see that you have a plan for these areas, even if you don’t have them fully developed yet.
Note: Applications are reviewed by a committee on a quarterly basis: January, April, July, and October. To have your application reviewed in the next round, make sure that you submit your application by the second Friday of the month prior.
Fiscal Sponsorship Criteria
- Statement of Intent aligns with Propel Nonprofits mission, vision, and values
- Experience or connection to the community you plan to serve and partner with
- Market analysis to ensure no one else is already doing this work
- You’ve dipped your toes in the water and have already taken some action
- Located in Minnesota, adjacent areas in the surrounding states, or within Native Nations that share this geography, although programming can occur outside of these areas.
- Priority is given to Minnesota or within Native Nations that share this geography”
- Will apply funds raised toward nonprofit purposes with a clear charitable mission
- Willing to incorporate or have an unincorporated association agreement and secure an EIN
- Has a plan, or is working on one, to achieve financial viability and programmatic success
Projects engaged in the following activities are ineligible for sponsorship
- Designed primarily to benefit an individual or business (non-charitable)
- International activities involving financial transactions
- Raising funds through charitable gambling
- Mental health care, medical services, personal care, or childcare as a core service
- Those that require exceptional governmental oversight and licensing
- Organizations that have already received their 501(c)(3) status
Application fee: A non-refundable fee of $100 is due at the time of application.
Setup fee: Upon acceptance, a project pays a $300 one-time setup fee to offset costs of the onboarding process.
Ongoing fees: Our administrative fee is 7% of charitable funds received by the project (we do not accept any non-charitable funds) and $100 annual renewal fee. These fund management fees cover management of accounts receivable (receiving and processing donations, including sending donor tax-receipts); a monthly fund balance report; grants management; and support from experienced Propel Nonprofits staff including one-on-one consulting, access to free and discounted trainings, and guidance as you set your strategy and long-term goals.
Ready to Apply?
After reviewing the process, eligibility requirements, and fees, fill out our Stage 1 Application form. We'll follow up with you once we've received it.Stage 1 Application