Fiscal Sponsorship Emerging Nonprofits Cohort
Nonprofits are formed to do important, mission-focused work, and establishing a strong organizational foundation contributes to their success and impact. At the same time, we know that launching a new nonprofit is hard work—and the choice to establish a 501(c)(3) organization can mean taking on additional responsibilities in service of your mission. While we can’t make the work easy, Propel is committed to providing the infrastructure, tools, and knowledge you need to succeed.
This fall, with the support of the Otto Bremer Trust and Old National Bank, we are launching our first-ever Emerging Nonprofits Cohort. Over the past ten years of providing fiscal sponsorship, we have heard groups share common needs, goals, and questions. The nine-month Cohort will provide a group of emerging nonprofit leaders with space, resources, and a $5,000 grant to explore these common experiences while building strong, supportive relationships with their peers.
The Cohort prioritizes organizations working in communities impacted by systemic oppression and/or serving groups who have been historically excluded from accessing resources. Our goals are to provide support and solidarity in the work to advance justice and build opportunity and access. There is no cost for participation. (See the costs associated with Propel’s Fiscal Sponsorship program here.)
What are the benefits?
- Monthly gatherings focused on connecting and learning together.
- Topics will be determined by cohort needs and will include budgeting, fundraising, board governance, strategic planning, etc.
- Some sessions will be offered virtually and some in-person (locations to be determined)
- Built-in work time to support progress for your organization
- Space to share your story and be supported/support other nonprofit leaders
- The option to be connected to a mentor
- $5,000 grant award
Cohort participants are invited to:
- Invest time in your skills and ability to lead an emerging organization
- Connect with fellow nonprofit leaders
- Access the resources needed to successfully and sustainably launch
- Make space to work on your priorities – and take time to stop reflect, think and engage
Cohort members will be:
- Leaders within groups that are on a path to becoming a 501(c)(3) organization but do not yet have 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status
- Located in Minnesota, adjacent areas in the surrounding states, or within Native Nations that share this geography
- Able to commit to monthly meetings between October-June
- Part of an organization that is actively programming and seeking funds, or has a plan to be active within the first few months of the cohort sessions
- Representatives from grassroots organizations, that are led by and/or deeply connected to the communities they serve
- Eager to grow as a nonprofit leader and connect to peers in the field
How Do I Apply?
The Emerging Organizations Cohort is only open to groups that are Fiscally Sponsored by Propel. If you are not already Fiscally Sponsored by Propel, you can apply here. If you are already in Propel’s Fiscal Sponsorship Program, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest.
Dates & deadlines
- Groups seeking to join Propels Fiscal Sponsorship Program, should submit an Inquiry Form by August 14th
- Groups selected for the cohort will be notified the week of September 18th
- Cohort sessions begin the week of October 23rd